Our Friend Imma of Immaculate bites food blog, has graciously given us permission to post one of her recipes on our blog.
Her blog is beautiful and she presents Afro-Caribbean meals with a twist. As it is still officially winter in Dubai, we have chosen one that can be truly enjoyed by all. Here is a recipe to start our food journey on dubaitreasures with. Enjoy!
- 3 – 3 ½ pound chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon or more curry spice
- Salt and pepper to taste (or use chicken season)
- ¼ cup or more canola or cooking oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ -2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- ½-1 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1-pound potatoes or more peeled cut in medium pieces
- 1-pound carrots and green beans (more or less)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-teaspoon chicken bouillon optional
- Salt to taste
- Season chicken with, salt, pepper and curry spice and set aside
- In a large skillet or non stick pan, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and brown on both sides about 4-5 minutes until chicken is brown.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Drain oil and leave about 2 tablespoons
- Add onions, followed by minced garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, curry powder, stir for about 5 minutes, for the flavors to blossom,
- Add coconut milk, water and tomato paste; continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Salt I used about 1teaspoon and ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon (adjust to taste)
- Place in slow cooker insert, and then add chicken thighs. Gently throw in potatoes.
- About 45 minutes or an hour before chicken is ready throw in vegetables, continue cooking until chicken and vegetables are ready.
- Remove adjust for salt if necessary and serve